International faculty development seminar grant: Application due 2/19
The HPU Study Abroad & International Exchange Programs Office is excited to offer another $2,000 grant to participate in one of the Council on International Educational Exchange’s International Faculty Development Seminars. Full details, including the guidelines and application due on Feb. 19, 2016, and the 21 international seminars to choose from, are posted here.
(Regina Ostergaard-Klem, Ph.D., is pictured with coal miners in Hebei, China. She attended the summer 2015 seminar Exploring Environmental, Cultural, and Economic Sustainability in China's Rural and Urban Landscapes.)
Summer study abroad in Thailand
Earn 3 hours of college credit for INTR 3933, studying abroad in Thailand this May. Highlights: Tour Bangkok, ride a boat on the River Kwai, visit the old Capital of Ayutthaya, spend a weekend on the beach at Hua Hin, travel to Chiang Rai, and spend two weeks in a mountain village teaching English and helping with construction projects. Preview the experience and watch this short video. Application due: March 1. Contact: James Primm, Ph.D., firstname.lastname@example.org, 228-1212
Peer Academic Coach (PAC) applications open
Applications are open for the 2016-2017 PAC team! PACs are upper-class student leaders who provide academic support, motivation and mentorship for new students during their first year at HPU. The PAC position is a paid, student employment opportunity for the 2016-2017 academic year. Apply at www.hpu.edu/HPUConnect until the March 21, 2016, close date.
‘Be My Guest’ take your professor to lunch program
Faculty and students in 1000 and 2000 level courses are encouraged to invite each other to Be My Guest for coffee or lunch. Program details available at www.hpu.edu/bemyguest.
Bookstore app sweepstakes ends 2/16, 6:59 p.m. HST
Download the Bookstore App and enter for your chance to win an Apple Watch, $250 Barnes & Noble Gift Card, GoPro Camera or $50 Barnes & Noble Gift Card! Here's how to enter:
1. Download the Bookstore App by searching for "My College Bookstore" in the Google Play Store or iTunes App Store.
2. Visit the Promotions Screen within the app and click on the link to enter the Sweeps.
3. Fill out the Entry Form for a chance to win!
Contest ends on Tuesday, Feb. 16, 2016 at 11:59 p.m. EST (6:59 p.m. in Hawai‘i). Questions? Call 808-544-0290.
Bookstores closed for inventory
The Bookstores will conduct physical inventory, and the Hawaii Loa store will be closed on Friday, Feb. 19, and the Downtown store will be closed on Saturday, Feb. 20. Orders placed via the website will not be processed from Feb. 18-21. Normal hours and operations will resume on Monday, Feb. 22.
Important Commencement information
· Order Regalia for May ceremony: Deadline is Sunday, March 13, to order your cap and gown with the early order price (a savings of about 5%) and to order an international sash. Order through the Herff Jones website, clicking through the Cap & Gown option. Don't forget to order customized announcements to be shipped directly to your home.
· Petition to graduate (PTG) due Monday, Feb. 22: All students who are completing their program requirements by the end of Spring/Summer 2016 must submit a PTG. More information and form here. You are required to submit a PTG whether or not you plan to participate in the commencement ceremony on Thursday, May 12. A confirmation receipt of your PTG will be emailed within 2-3 weeks from the date submitted to your advisor. If you do not receive a confirmation in your HPU email, contact the Registrar’s office at email@example.com.
HPU Preview Day: 3/12
If you know a student whom you’d like to learn about HPU and its undergraduate programs and student services, invite them to Preview Day on Saturday, March 12, at Aloha Tower Marketplace. Check-in begins at 8 a.m. and validated parking will be available. More information and RSVP link here.
Faculty workshop: EndNote Basic
HPU Libraries are offering Faculty Workshop: EndNote Basic, a free reference management program. Sessions will be held from Feb. 29- March 3 on both campuses. Faculty and staff are welcome to attend. More information and registration link here.
Spring 2016 UPass and distribution
Undergraduate and graduate students who are enrolled full-time during the Spring 2016 semester and are taking at least one class on the Downtown or Hawaii Loa campus are eligible to receive a UPass, which entitles the student to unlimited use of TheBus (Oahu’s public transportation system). More information including the UPass distribution schedule here.