Monday, November 27, 2017

Alumni Perspective: College to Career Transition

Jose Dominguez (MBA ’17) is a General Building Manger, overseeing 423 residential units in a Kakaako complex. His management responsibility is for maintenance, security, and financial matters. Dominguez works directly with the owners’ association on a variety of issues affecting residents, maintaining open communication with all parties involved.    

In this Q&A with HPU Senior Career Development Advisor, Ryan Tin Loy, M.A., CWDP, Dominguez shares his experiences.  

How did your HPU education prepare you for the workforce?

I graduated with a MBA in Management. The education I received from HPU prepared me by exposing me to coursework in statistics, finance, and accounting. I also took advantage of a well-rounded education through the sciences and writing.

How did the Career Development Center prepare you for this transition?

The Career Development Center assisted me through effective resume building techniques and I took advantage of all the workshops and seminars they offered. Ryan Tin Loy in the Career Development Center maintained consistent contact with me throughout my time at HPU to ensure my educational needs and goals were being met.

What advice would you give other students as they prepare for the college to career transition?

My advice is to expect the unexpected. Prepare for the many bumps on road. There will be times you may feel like quitting but keep moving forward in life.

HPU students and alumni, check out what the university’s Career Development Center has to offer: Career Advising, Using internships and co-ops for class credit, Resume and cover letter assistance, Mock interviews, Job search assistance, Interest assessments (MBTI and Strong), Professional development events and workshops, Career Fairs, Employer information sessions and tables, HPU Connect online job board.  


No comments:

Post a Comment